Winter is slowly approaching, a few leaves remain on the trees. The shorter days, longer nights and consistent drop in temperature mean that pool owners are spending less time outdoors maintaining their pools.
Regardless of whether the pool is used or not, it is important to care for and maintain a swimming pool all year round.
Maintaining Standard & Heated Pools
Whether your pool is used or not, regardless of the climate, proper maintenance throughout the cold season is essential. Maintaining a swimming pool throughout winter will ensure that it is in good condition, looks inviting and is clean and healthy come spring-time. Continuous maintenance will also prevent many unforeseen problems from occurring.
Here is a checklist for maintaining a perfect swimming pool this winter:
- Clean out all debris and empty baskets regularly. (A pool cover is advantageous in keeping debris out of the pool and minimises time and effort spent cleaning.)
- Continue to backwash on a weekly basis.
- Monitor and maintain a good water level.
- Monitor the chemistry levels of the water on a weekly basis. (Optimal ranges are as follows: pH 7.2 – 7.6, alkalinity 80 -120ppm, and calcium hardness 250 -450ppm.
- Ensure chemicals are stored out of direct sunlight and other elements.
By ensuring that the swimming pool is clean and healthy, and that the water chemistry is within the optimal range, when the warmer weather arrives the pool will be clean and sparkling, with no problems to fix. It will also save you money in the long run.
Taking care of the swimming pool during the off season will reduce the headache of having to get your pool back to its clean and healthy state ready for the swimming season. It will also lengthen the life of any heating system.
It is worth the time and effort!